It’s fitting that on Earth Day, that the city of Lynwood announces our Recreation and Community Services Department has a new electric van.
Electric vehicles are higher efficiency than gas-powered cars, can reduce your dependence on fossil fuels and require less maintenance than most cars.
Lynwood has been a leader among cities in identifying and adopting tactics–like our electric vehicle program–that conserve energy and create a healthier city for our residents.
Earth Day started in 1970 in the United States but now has blossomed into a world wide movement—the largest environmental movement on earth.
Congratulations to our Recreation and Community Services Department for continuing to lead on this very important issue.
Here are a few tips on ways to help the environment right here in our very own community:
1. Green Waste – Place all yard trimmings in the green trash cart every week.
2. Sharps – Lynwood residents can conveniently and responsibly dispose of needles, lancets, and other sharps from homes with mail back containers. Call Waste Resources Inc. at (888) 467-7600 to request a free Sharps Kit.
3. Reuse – One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Instead of discarding unwanted appliances, tools, or clothes, try selling or donating them to local churches, community centers, thrift stores, schools, and nonprofit organizations.
4. Reduce – The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. Reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money.
5. Apartments and Businesses – AB 341 requires all apartment buildings and businesses that generate four or more cubic yards of garbage per week to recycle. Call (888) 467-7600 to learn more.
6. Recycling Beverage Bottles and Cans – Please recycle your bottles and cans.
Happy Earth Day to all!