The Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System.
From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue, from 1918-24. From 1924 to 1956, the library was housed in the old building on Sanborn Avenue. In 1956, a new structure was built in the Civic Center to house this fast-growing County Library facility. During the next decade, the library patronage again outgrew the library building. In 1977, a new library at the present location opened for service. The library was refurbished in the fall of 2004.
Located in the Lynwood Civic Center, the library, with an area of 12,000 square feet, features the following major areas: an adult section, a children’s area, an adult literacy area and a meeting room with a capacity of 106. Special collections include Black History materials and Spanish books and magazines.
The City of Lynwood is served by Los Angeles County Public Library System. You can visit it online: https://lacountylibrary.org/lynwood-library/