Tomorrow is the beginning of the new school year. As we expect our students to resume their good study habits, parents and the general public must also resume their good driving and parking habits around school zones.
To ensure the safety of our children as school resumes on tomorrow (Wednesday, August 21), the City’s Public Safety Officers will be patrolling the schools (morning and afternoon) enforcing parking regulations. Regardless if children walk, ride a bicycle, or take the bus to school, it is extremely important that they, and the motorists around them, take proper safety precautions. Take extra care in school zones and neighborhood areas where children and teenagers might be walking or riding bicycles to school. Be alert, children are unpredictable.
Parking tips to remember:
• Do not block driveways, sidewalks, crosswalks, or intersections
• Do not park in the red
• Do no park in a disabled parking space unless you have blue placard or handicap tag
• Do not park or block a school bus zone
• Do not block a fire hydrant
• Do not double park
• Do not leave your running car unattended
• Do no leave your car parked along a white curb longer than 3 minutes or unattended for any period of time
These are all citable offenses and fines are doubled within school zones. Enforcement of parking regulations around schools encourages compliance and results in a safer environment for all pedestrians, including students.
Let’s all have a safe and successful school year!