From Century Station:
Lynwood had an increase in auto thefts in January, but so did the rest of Century Station’s service areas. There is no specifically targeted area in Lynwood, as it seems to be across multiple areas of the city. The most commonly stolen cars are pickups (Chevrolet Silverado), as well as Hondas (CR-V, Accord/Civics most common).
We would like to reiterate the following theft prevention tips:
- Lock all doors/windows when parked.
- Do not leave spare keys or your title (“pink slip”) in the vehicle. If your vehicle is stolen with the title inside, the thief can try to quickly sell your car for cash. If spare house keys are left in the vehicle along with paperwork showing your house address, the thief may return.
- Park in well-lit areas under camera surveillance, if possible.
- Use an anti-theft device (steering wheel lock, GPS theft patrol, etc). Century Station has a limited supply of free steering wheel locks available to residents. Call 323-568-4906 to request one.
In the unfortunate event your car is stolen, here is what we need:
If your vehicle was just stolen within the past few minutes, call 9-1-1. If your vehicle was taken overnight or in the last several hours, call Century Station dispatch at 323-568-4800. In either case, we need:
- The address of where the vehicle was parked when it was taken.
- Vehicle information: year/make/model/license plate.
- Description of the person who took the vehicle (if known), and last seen direction they drove off in (if known)
- The owner of the vehicle and/or authorized user of the vehicle (family member, etc.) must be present to sign the report when the deputy arrives.